Saturday, March 3, 2012

Just touching base

I wasn't planning on blogging tonight but I am aware that I have been unusually quiet here. (Not that anyone has noticed.)

Here's where I'm at. As has been the case the past five or so years, the start of a new year brought an intense work schedule that would threaten anyone's sanity and "free time." I'm talking, get on the job early in the morning, work all day, take a dinner break, and then get on the phone for the ever popular "telecom" conference calls, which then lead to an hour of discussion followed by at least an hour of debriefing yourself to get set up for work the next day.

God bless America that I have a job so good that it keeps on going, nearly round the clock. I know I am very fortunate to have a good job and I am grateful. I do, however, think that it should not reduce my life outside of work to the extent that it prevents me from pursuing other goals, such as a good night's rest, the opportunity to enjoy the company of others (outside of colleagues), and of course, the Almighty Ph.D.

Enough whining. That's the main "reason" for the lack of blogging of late. The other reason is, I have been trying to get back on track with the dissertation writing, and have only recently done so.

I'm happy to report that prior to my week and a half business trip to Singapore, I heard from my Committee. Finally! And alas, it was not as good a word as I had hoped for. Still, it was communication, and this was important to me and so very much needed.

They commented on my first chapter, which I had thought was in decent shape, and have happily sent me back to this chapter to insert my source details and all the guts of what is making me travel this research path. I will say this: Footnotes are a bi#F@(!.

I took up the challenge the past few days and am getting there. It has meant that I have had to put Chapter 2 on a shelf, for now, but I am determined to get Chapter 1 back in the hands of my Readers by Monday morning.

Anyway, enough of this. I have work to do. Talk soon.

Copyright 2012 By Marianne V. Heffernan

No comments:

Post a Comment