Monday, August 29, 2011

The one thing we cannot live without

Now that Hurricane Irene has come and gone here in the Northeast, I can safely reveal that I have discovered the one essential necessity that we Americans simply cannot live without.

Coffee.

If seeing my friends complain on Facebook about the lack of it in their morning routines Sunday morning, my journey to work today offered all the confirmation I needed.

Let’s put it into context first: Yesterday was the first morning of the storm, during which Irene continued to relentlessly pummel those along the eastern seaboard with 70 mph winds, rain, and whatever else she felt like wielding. Homes destroyed or flooded out, or damaged by fallen trees. More than 700,000 without electricity in Connecticut alone.



Yet FB posts galore spoke of the need for coffee, the need of husbands to get their wives coffee (another survival skill that would-be husbands should take heed), and the willingness to settle for less-than-“good” coffee by running hot boiled water through the grounds in one’s coffeemaker.

Today, as I set out for work, the local Cumberland Farms was jammed with would-be coffee drinkers seeking an alternative to those other options for coffee along the route to work. I found out why and I am sorry to say I did not pull over to take a photo of it to prove it to you.

The drive-thru line at one Dunkin Donuts on my way to the office was not just “backed up” in their parking lot. It wound all the way onto the main drag of a well traveled route.

I have never seen anything like it.

Those of you who have stock in D&D should be celebrating a surge in your portfolios today.

So if you think it is television, or the Internet, or even Facebook that you cannot live without, think again, you caffeine junkies, and be grateful that the pink and orange goes on.

Copyright 2011 By Marianne V. Heffernan

No comments:

Post a Comment