Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Can you spare a memory?

I’d like to keep my thoughts to myself today, but instead I am at the keyboard letting them escape randomly. Before it gets out of hand, I would like to turn this around on you, and ask you to tell the stories.

I’m just looking for the stuff that comes from the heart. Do you have a good “sister” or “friend” anecdote you can share, that shows the goodness of such a close relationship? I would really love to hear about it today.

I’ll offer one to get it started, and then hopefully some of you can take it from there. Deal?

OK, here it is.

When my sister Joyce and I were young, for a while we shared a bunk bed. Joyce got the top bunk, though I don’t recall if that was a random choice or a deliberate request. Regardless, we would often spend some time before dropping off too sleep just chatting about our day’s activities, and usually end up giggling until our father would gruffly tell us to knock it off and go to sleep.

On nights when it was particularly hard to settle down, Joyce would climb down from her bunk and sit beside me, and we’d play “What’s the word?” by drawing letters on each other’s backs, trying to guess the letters one by one and then putting them together to guess the word. It was always a word related to some funny memory we shared. And of course, it would always get us laughing again and earn us another reproach from Dad.

Looking back, it is just a snippet of a memory, but it gives me such a warm feeling to have had those moments with my sis. I wish I could remember more substantial moments, but it’s been 27 years of being apart and I am struggling to come up with the goods. I guess it’s enough to know that we had such moments, even if I can’t recall the details.


To make up for my lack of vivid recall, I’m looking for inspiration and some heartwarming from the universe. Anyone out there have a little story to share of their own close kinship moments? (Better yet, anyone have a memory of Joyce that you’d be willing to share?)

Just looking to connect through the warmth of others’ experiences. What fond sister (or best friend) moments do you have? Would really love to hear some.

Copyright 2011 By Marianne V. Heffernan

2 comments:

  1. yes yes ! im not sure i may have shared this one before - but i will again !!
    we were much older than in your story ( hahaha ) uh high school age. and i know you girls were both pretty tight with my bro ken and had called him to see if he would go to the Bob Seager concert in Hartford that night you had an xtra ticket. I was standing in the kitchen when the phone rang Ken said he could not but suggested I may like to join you, hold on a sec while he asked me, and of course I said SURE !!! then i was thinking i really dont know you girls all that well i know your bro's - but what the hell - I love concerts !!! so you and joyce and i think it was karen show up dressed all in summer clothes tank tops shorts here i am in the drive way dressed in black spandex pants -leather boots etc etc...oh the little bad ass that i was ..i didnt blend in with you guys to well but you didnt seem to mind...we go to the show singing seager tunes all the way and we have a blast at the concert....me sweating my brains out in my spandex - you girls looked very comfortable in your appropriate summer garb. i remember joyce wanting a T shirt soo bad and from my concert history i know many times i have found them in the isles that and cash too people getting too drunk and loosing things and i was keeping my eye out for one for her...sure enough there was a black T shirt hangin over the back of a chair unattended..no one around...i keep watching it as we were exiting the civic center - then i veered off from you guys for a sec swiped it up. i could not wait to get outside and give it to your sister !!! well when we got out side i tossed it to her and said here ya go ! she lit up "wow thanks!" it was inside out so she turned it right side and started laughing ..." I think this one is for YOU Barb " it was a Blizzard of OZ shirt hahaha - hell yeah ! so we both laughed and of course i kept the shirt but my intentions were good ( if you dont count swiping the shirt haha- but someone else would have - it was left behind )
    ANYWAY ...the best part of this memory was the next day you girls called my mom's house ..this time asking for ME not Ken ...to see if i wanted to go again to see the second night of the show...and of course I did !! this time wearing terry cloths shorts tank top and sneakers !! hahah screw the image hahaha

    p.s. another coincidence that comes to ming when I think of that concerty is that my oldest brother Thom highly recommended Bob Seager. At that time I was into really heavy music and if not for you girls calling I would not have gone..but remembered him telling me how great a show he put on like 20 band members on stage he had seen them out in Oregon the same tour...
    well both Joyce and Thom are in heaven now...probably crankin up ..." Todays music aint got the same soul - I like that Old Time Rock n Roll " hahaha

    ((( hugs to you sister )))
    Barbie Granton

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Barbie - THANK YOU!! That memory is such a favorite memory of mine from our teenage years. The back-to-back Bob Seger concerts were really a blast, and I still have the envelope that Kenny put the tickets in for us. Printed on the outside of the envelope: From Elmo Rockbottom. LOL. We thought you were awesome and felt like we made a cool new friend. We only WISH we could wear the stuff you wore! :) God bless Joyce and Thom, and YOU TOO for sharing this awesome memory. XO

    ReplyDelete