Sunday, October 2, 2011

Getting there

I’m keeping myself honest here. Since I put it out there, in writing, last week that I was working on wrapping up the final pieces of my dissertation proposal, I have to let you know whether I accomplished what I had hoped I would for the week.

Not exactly. But I did make progress. Much as I had hoped to have the last four (or is it five?) sections of my proposal in the hands of my wise Committee by the weekend, I managed to complete two of the key pieces left. Obviously, two is not as good as four, but it is much better than zero. I am soldiering on.

So just what did I move off my desk? The very difficult section called, “Methodology,” in which I have to explain to three highly educated, experienced scholars how I, a lowly doctoral candidate and yet unpublished scholar wannabe, will attempt to tackle a subject that has never been explored before. At least not in the way that I will explore it.

If you recall, I am delving into the topic of the grief memoir. I am looking at how communication technologies have evolved in use by authors who write grief memoirs. I’m talking about writers who publish books about a loved one that has died, to tell the story of their lives, in some portion. I am taking this research into the virtual waters of the Internet and film documentary to explore how those who do not write such grief memoirs are using blogs and film to tell the same kind of story.

I must share with you one interesting thing that is happening for me because I suspect it may be a common experience for doctoral candidates. As my focus and attention on this subject grows (through a disciplined effort at working on this material daily), I find that I am eager to get back to it whenever I am free of the “chores” of the day. In other words, when I am working at my job or taking care of household responsibilities or doing whatever it is that fills my days, I catch myself kicking around some part of the research.

The mind is a fascinating machine. As a writer, I know this, because I am always writing even if it looks like I am cooking, weeding, gardening, napping, or even sleeping. My mind keeps working the subject of my writing. That is what is happening with my dissertation writing. And I can tell you, it feels really good.

I’ll start a new work week tomorrow with new deadlines for my proposal draft. Next up is the section where I explain the relevant literature I will be working with in this project. It is another important piece that really must be clear, so I am slightly daunted but not discouraged.

I’m in a good mental place. I do think I am getting there.


Copyright 2011 By Marianne V. Heffernan


Question for Walking distance readers: Have you seen any good documentaries that might be considered a grief memoir? I am thinking of viewing The Tillman Story as one example, but am looking for others. Along those lines, have you come across any blogs that might fit this topic? Please send me your suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment