Saturday, July 16, 2011

Look within

I spent most of last week in West Palm Beach, Florida, on assignment for my job. Usually, when I travel on business, I am inspired by the sights, the people, occasionally the culture (particularly if I someplace interesting or different... like Paris, or New York).


I’m not sure if it was the fact that I was busy, or burnt out, or that I was not finding the location to be outstanding in a way that generated a creative response, but I came back with, well, nothing much.

No offense to WPB of course. I’ve been there plenty of times, so perhaps it is simply that is was not a novelty this trip.


I did have a thought though, on my drive home from the airport. Something I want to work on, I guess you could say.

As a person who is always on the “self improvement” kick, I will occasionally read an inspirational book, or watch a spiritual program on television. I got to thinking. All those ideas are fine and can be helpful, but I have a feeling all we need to know, to be “better” individuals, is within us.


Think about it. With a little time to reflect, each of us can identify a quality in ourselves that is good -- which we can amplify through our actions -- or not-so-good -- which we can choose to work on. We don’t really need someone to tell us how to be a good person, or how to be happy in life. The secret lies within. We just need to go there once in a while to conjure it up and embrace it.

Either that, or I need a vacation.

Copyright 2011 By Marianne V. Heffernan

No comments:

Post a Comment